YouTube is the most popular video sharing platform on the internet. It has mass followers of all ages. Children use it to see their favorite cartoons, students use it to see educational videos, adults use it for entertainment and older people use it to see devotional videos. It is easily accessible on the website and the smart phone application. Being a hit among people of every age group, the dark side of YouTube cannot be ignored.
As far as young adults are concerned, here is everything that is wrong with YouTube:
- Anyone above 13 years of age can create on account for free on This makes it easily accessible to young adults. After creating an account, they are upload, share and comment. Too much exposure can pose dangers for the younger generation.
- Since YouTube has a million videos about anything and everything in the world, it also contains mature adult content. This content requires viewer’s discretion and is not meant for young adults. The accessibility cannot be denied, but parents need to monitor what the children see.
- Anyone can upload videos on YouTube. These videos can be clippings from their favorite TV shows. For instance, fans occasionally post videos from the famous 90’s sitcom Friends on What they fail to realize is adding such videos and clips can create copyright issues. This in turn creates legal problems for the person who uploads them.
- Creating and running a channel on YouTube is actually a child’s play. You can upload various videos created by you on your channel. Besides this, you can also add video blogs. These blogs show details about your life closely and expose information related to your lifestyle. This invasion of privacy has many negative consequences for the blogger.
- Commenting on videos is a feature that gives you the right to voice out your opinions. Sometimes, the people who like a video can get into arguments with the people who dislike the video. This results in ugly quarrels and nasty comments which may also contain abusive language.
- YouTube allows its members to interact with each other. This is actually unsafe if the conversations between members get to an extent where they plan to meet without even knowing each other personally. Not everyone you talk online is trustworthy. He or She may be a predator.
All these risk factors should be thought of while using YouTube to avoid any negative consequences.